Subject: Report on “World Wetland Day” 2nd February, 2024
From: Communication Cell IUL <[email-masked]>
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 09:29:25 +0530
List-Id: <esfc.iul.ac.in>

*Brief Report on *

*“World Wetland Day”*

*2nd February, 2024 *

Organized by

* Department of Environmental Science *

*on*

*Awareness Programme on Wetland Conservation and Protection*

The Department of Environmental Science, Integral University, Lucknow,
celebrated World Wetland Day in virtual mode in the Department, University
campus. World Wetland Day has been celebrated annually on 2nd February to
raise global awareness about the vital role of wetlands for people and the
planet. The theme for this year is “*Wetland and Well Human Being”*. The
theme recognizes wetlands as critical to people and nature, underscoring
the intrinsic value of wetland ecosystems and their benefits and services,
including contributions to sustainable development and human wellbeing.

The Dean students and Welfare Prof. (Dr.) Monowar Alam Khalid delivered an
interesting lecture on the topic of Wetland and its benefits to the
environment, which was patiently listened by the students from the
university and faculty members from various departments. He has worked
as a Protected
Area Ecologist at Buxa Tiger Reserve, West Bengal under the World Bank
India Eco-development Project-Global Environmental Facility (IEDP-GEF), and
was a Senior Wildlife Biologist at the Wildlife Institute of India in West
Bengal Elephant project funded under the World Bank Forestry Project. He
was an observer & expert for Corporate Sustainability training programmes
in China, Hong Kong and the United Kingdom.

His lecture was extremely informative and provided knowledge about the
wetland system and how they directly and indirectly support lakhs of
people, providing goods and services to them, checking floods, preventing
coastal erosion, and mitigating the effects of natural disasters like
cyclones and tidal waves.

While interacting with the students, Dr. Khalid expressed that wetlands are
highly productive and biologically diverse systems that enhance water
quality, control erosion, maintain stream flows, sequester carbon, and
provide a home to at least one-third of all threatened and endangered
species.

The program was coordinated by Dr. Anand Mishra under the supervision of
Head of the Department Dr. Ambrina Sardar Khan, Integral University. The
event was attended online by more than 50 people including faculty members,
staff, and students. The response from the audience was quite overwhelming.

 Some glimpses of the programme:

*With Deep Regards *
*Dr. Ambrina Sardar Khan*
*Associate Professor*
*Head, **Department of Environmental Science*
*Integral University, Lucknow, *
*Mobile: 08586069760, 09999709932  *
*Email: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
<[email-masked]>*
*"We are not heading towards a bright & hi-tech future;*
*Instead, we are heading into a dark and suffocated EARTH.."*